Casual - Administrative Assistant
Job no: 497213
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Clerical / Support
The Administrative Assistant provides high-level, essential support to the Office of Student Services in the Freeman College of Management. This position engages in front-line student academic support, oversees multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, screens and prioritizes communications and opportunities from external and internal constituents, and handles the effective administrative processes. The Administrative Assistant coordinates assigned calendars, meeting schedules, travel, and correspondence as well as assisting in the execution of projects, initiatives, and events related to the running of certain programs within the College. This position involves frequent student-faculty-administration-parent contact and assistance, and a thorough knowledge of the management curricula.
The Administrative Assistant demonstrates the ability to work independently, handle confidential information, work in a pressured environment, and pay careful attention to details while multi-tasking and meeting deadlines. The Administrative Assistant reports to the Associate Dean of Students in the Freeman College of Management.
The Dean’s Office of the Freeman College of Management recognizes the value and importance of an inclusive and diverse workplace. The Office is committed to working affirmatively to recruit and support a diverse group of staff, students, and faculty. In the Dean’s Office, an active exchange of many viewpoints in an environment of mutual respect is highly valued. Attracting talented people from a variety of backgrounds improves the functioning of the Dean’s Office and is crucial to our support of the University mission.
1. Engages in daily front-line interactions with students, parents, faculty and staff and provides appropriate day to day office reception and phone support. Consistent with the open-door policy of the Freeman Office of Student Services, this person is available regularly to answer specific on-the-spot questions from students, parents, faculty and staff or appropriately direct questions.
2. Maintains a thorough knowledge of the evolving management curriculum, policies, and procedures and communicates this information correctly.
3. Provides administrative support and oversees the daily operations of the Associate Dean of Students’ office including arranging meetings, maintaining confidential records, confirming documentation related to absences and sending absence notices, completing college official reports for students considering transferring, processing purchase orders and expense reports, and preparing academic misconduct materials according to Registrar specifications.
4. Handles the efficient and effective filing system for documents needed for the daily administration of the office of the Associate Dean of Students. This includes accurate maintenance of extensive student records. Faculty and staff have a variety of needs for student information – current majors, intended majors (for which the University has no tracking mechanism, so it’s done internally), students abroad, etc. The Office of Student Services responds to those requests.
Provides support for both the major declaration process for second year students and surveys first year students at the mid-year point for updated major intentions.
In coordination with department chairs, assigns advisors in Banner for all incoming students and for newly declared majors.
Maintains up-to-date statistics for accreditation purposes, responds to call for student and faculty handbook information, tracks student transfers, withdrawals, leave of absences, study abroad, etc. Communicates and distributes information to appropriate departments/persons.
Handles confidential information with discretion.
5. Processes all student related notices/forms (e.g., 2-week, 4-week and 10-week course withdrawals, change of major, change of degree, etc.). Prepares correspondence regarding student academic standing including midterm, end of term, and Dean’s List letters.
6. Resolves final exam conflicts, provides exam proctoring support, and follows through with students who have incomplete standing in a course.
Provides support for constantly evolving advising reference resources for faculty and students of the Freeman College, including but not limited to the Freeman 1st Year Orientation Moodle, the Management Majors Moodle, and the Freeman Faculty Advising Reference. Keeping this information up-to-date ensures students and faculty avoid critical procedural missteps.
7. Carries out planning and execution of special events related to the Freeman Office of Student Services (e.g., admissions, Freeman Fellows program support, pre-orientation, off-campus, etc.). Liaison with Admissions Office regarding events. Responsible for printed materials supporting events.
8. Tracks completion of the Academic Responsibility Orientation for all incoming first year students.
9. Assists the Associate Dean in the Freeman Fellows program – schedules all selection committee meetings and applicant interviews, keeps a tickler of important dates, ensures Fellows are properly set up in the payroll system, assigns Fellows to incoming first year student cohorts and maintains a system of follow up throughout first year.
Provides administrative support for weekly meetings and events.
10. Assists the Associate Dean in collecting information and submitting award nominations and graduation cords.
11. Performs other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean.
• High School degree
• Three years of administrative/office experience and three or more years’ experience in a setting with frequent client contact
• Demonstrated knowledge of computers and proficiency of software including Microsoft Office Word and Excel, email and calendaring applications
• Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills with strong attention to detail, and ability to prioritize deadlines and successfully manage multiple priorities
• Exceptional customer service skills, relating to recruitment and retention of students as well as maintenance of good relations with parents and alumni
• Ability to handle sensitive confidential information in a responsible and appropriate manner and always use good judgment
• Proactive approach to projects, problem solving, communication needs, and planning
• Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Demonstrated ability to positively interact with a wide range of individuals and commit to diversity and inclusiveness
• Bachelor’s degree (Specialty in social psychology or education a plus)
• Experience with academic advising or student academic affairs.
• Experience with relevant online systems (HRIS systems, applicant tracking systems, Moodle, document imaging systems, etc.)
This is a temporary, non-benefits eligible casual position, working 35 hours per week.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a casual staff non-exempt position with a hiring range of $17.03 -$21.29. The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend