HR Generalist - Employee Experience and Success
Job no: 497211
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Human Resources, Other
The HR Generalist provides strategic guidance, advice and leadership on all human resource related activities, in support of and in alignment with Bucknell’s strategic and operational priorities. The HR Generalist will provide services to the University in the areas of talent management, onboarding, employee relations, retention, performance management, diversity initiatives, learning & development, policy interpretation and human resources information systems (HRIS). The HR Generalist may supervise an HR Coordinator, HR Specialist, and/or student employees. As a member of a cross-functional team, reporting to the HR Manager, the HR Generalist will partner with other members of the HR team and work collaboratively with all levels of management and staff to implement HR policies, practices, and procedures, as well as actively contribute to Bucknell's efforts to foster an inclusive and diverse campus community. The Division of Human Resources supports the University's strategic plan to further distinguish itself among its peers and aspirant institutions and ensure a sustainable, vibrant future.
This HR Generalist role primarily focuses on employee relations, learning and development and policy management. However; the division is nimble and collaborative across human resource functions. The right candidate to add to the team will enjoy engaging with diverse groups of people, utilizing their talent and experience to support the University’s mission and being a lifelong learner to make Bucknell the employer of choice in the region
• Proactively partners and collaborates with employees on best approaches, practices, policies and procedures to create and sustain a high performing workforce.
• Keenly assess systemic and ongoing human resource programing and institutional structures through the lens of diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice to sustain a culture of belonging.
• Provide best practice and specialized research to intentionally transform total rewards, talent acquisition, performance management and employee engagement strategies to positively impact the employee experience.
• Contribute to the university strategy by utilizing sound judgment and reporting to inform decision making that supports talent attraction and building of internal talent for succession planning.
• Actively partner with managers, and staff to address a variety of workplace issues and function as a subject matter expert for administrative practices.
• Provide organizational development consulting to department/division leaders including engaging in conversations to conduct comprehensive staffing reviews to assist with re-org strategies, staffing goals and learning needs.
• Drive efforts to optimize system functionalities including, but not limited to, increased efficiencies, automation, configuration, analytics, training & documentation and employee relation investigations.
• Assist in the research, development, and writing of new and existing policies, forms, guidelines, and procedures.
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or business-related field with a minimum 3 years of HR experience. Or, a combination of an Associate Degree or HRCI/SHRM Certification with a minimum of (5) years of professional experience in Human Resources.
• Demonstrated proficiency in two or more areas of human resources management including but not limited to compensation, benefits, employment, employee relations, rewards & recognition, labor relations, etalent acquisition, organizational development, employment law, DEI, HRIS, and learning & development. Technical proficiency in relevant applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), HRIS, or other systems to effectively gather, interpret, organize, and present data and information.
• Demonstrated ability to contribute in meaningful ways to diversity, equity, inclusion and a sense of belonging through policy, procedure, programming and community engagement.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; attention to details skills to interact with HR constituents, cross-functional colleagues and IT.
• Ability to accurately collect information in order to understand and assess the clients' needs and situation.
• Advanced knowledge of employment law and HR policies and practices; local and state laws and regulations; financial/business acumen. Demonstrated sound judgment and critical thinking skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and administer a broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, coaching, and counseling managers and employees on policies and procedures
• HR certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP)
• Experience in higher education or a service-oriented organization
• Workday ERP experience
• Title IX experience
• Compensation experience
• Experience assisting with immigration and foreign national sponsorship and visa processes.
This is a full time, year round, benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Exempt position with a hiring range of $63,800 - $79,750. The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to) -
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- tuition remission, exchange and grants for the employee, spouse/spousal equivalent, and children (with credit for full-time, benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education)
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend