Performing Arts Technician
Job no: 497209
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Performing Arts
The Performing Arts Technician provides recurring technical support for rehearsals and performances at The Weis Center for the Performing Arts and occasionally support at events sponsored by The Weis Center for the Performing Arts at other venues such as The Campus Theatre. With technical knowledge, the Performing Arts Technician pool provides all manner of production services including lighting, audio, video, rigging, staging, stage management, occasional front-of-house assistance, and other duties as requested. This position assists with productions spanning multiple genres such as music, dance, theater, and lectures. Performing Arts Technicians are expected to provide excellent support and services to students, faculty, staff, and external clients. They will be directed by the full-time staff to exceed client expectations in a supportive and helpful manner.
• Support the direction of the Weis Center Technical Director and Operations Director.
• In preparation for events, the technician provides setup support of staging elements, including chairs, stands, platforms, risers, audio and lighting equipment, and musical instruments.
• The technician participates in load-in, setup, operation, and load-out of equipment.
• Depending on the needs of the show, the technician may help support the setup and operation of technical equipment, including the lighting console, audio console, focus of lighting fixtures, running audio lines, projections, and any additional audio-visual requirements as required.
• During rehearsals and performances, the technician may serve multiple functions depending on each event’s needs, including but not limited to: deckhand, stage manager, lighting console operator, audio console engineer, or event assistant.
• Technicians help maintain a safe and compliant environment, which meets the OSHA and University requirements for worker, performer, and patron safety. The technician ensures that all stage elements are secure and safe.
• Technicians understand that the expertise level of the presenters varies, and is capable of being flexible as well as supportive throughout all phases of the production process.
• While most events occur at The Weis Center, the candidate must be capable of supporting conventional and non-conventional venues, i.e. outdoor or multi-purpose spaces, throughout the University.
• Willingness to offer front-of-house support and assistance as needed
• Actively contribute to Bucknell’s commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
•In cooperation with the Technical Director / Assistant Technical Director, supervise and help train backstage members of the Weis Center student staff.
• Other duties as requested
• Willingness and ability to work with a flexible schedule, including early mornings, late nights, weekends, holidays and long hours.
• Experience in live event operations, preferably in a University setting or comparable experience in the live event industry.
• Experience and understanding of at least one of the following production elements: lighting systems, audio reinforcement, and stage management.
Ability to lift 50 lbs., climb ladders, work at heights, and safely handle rigging needs at Weis Center. Ability to stay on feet for extended periods of time when necessary to complete tasks.
This is a casual, non-benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is an casual, non-exempt position with a hiring rate of $20.00 per hour.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend