Job no: 497193
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Facilities, Other
This 1st shift position performs routine and non-routine custodial services for campus buildings and equipment. Primary responsibilities include the proper use of custodial materials, supplies, and equipment to perform custodial and housekeeping services. Acts as Facilities representative for customer building needs. Identifies building deficiencies and resolves and/or reports needs and deficiencies to appropriate personnel.
● Performs custodial duties to maintain all interior and exterior building surfaces, including custodial equipment. Ensures students, staff, faculty and visitors experience a safe, clean and welcoming campus.
● Performs visual monthly inspections (e.g. checks fire extinguishers, fire alarms, eye wash stations, and emergency lights).
● Responsible for the proper safekeeping of master keys; open and locks doors as required.
● Stocks and maintains custodial supply closets, rooms and lockers.
● Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe practices, and follows safety policies/procedures including immediately reporting accidents injuries, security violations, and safety hazards and conditions to an available supervisor.
● Uses cleaning materials and supplies in accordance with Safety Data Sheets (SDS), the Hazard Communication Program and manufacturers' instructions. ● ● Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets examples for others, notifies supervisor of potential hazards, and demonstrates good housekeeping habits.
● Primarily works independently, uses judgement, and makes decisions regarding routine custodial, housekeeping services. Periodically may work with a team in providing custodial, housekeeping and other general labor services throughout campus.
● Communicates effectively and assists customers by responding to their requests for special setups for classes, meetings, deliveries and events.
● Supports and promotes the University’s sustainability efforts.
● Performs other duties as assigned in support of University operations and special events.
● Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written instructions.
● Customer service oriented.
● Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
● This staff position is classified as part of essential services. This individual is required to report to work even if campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless instructed otherwise by a supervisor or appropriate time off is approved by a supervisor.
● Post offer drug screening will be conducted.
● ACT 153 background checks will be conducted.
● Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, as well as part of a team.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
● A high school diploma or equivalent
● Prior work experience that includes some duties of a physical nature such as manual labor, custodial, housekeeping, etc.
● General knowledge and skills related to institutional housekeeping, with some relevant commercial/institutional cleaning experience.
● Demonstrated ability to perform basic skills on computers for communication and training
● Bends, kneels, stoops, pushes, pulls, reaches above and below shoulders, frequently lifts and carries objects up to 25 pounds unassisted; occasionally lifts items up to 50 lbs that may require help or adjusting loads, assists others in moving objects greater than 25 pounds as needed; climbs and works on stools, ladders, stairs and elevated platforms with training and safety equipment.
● Must use proper safety equipment for hearing, head, eye, feet (safety shoes), hand and body protection as required.
● Daily exposure to dust, dirt, cleaning detergents and chemicals, odors, body fluids and waste, weather and temperature changes
This is a full time, benefits eligible, year round position.
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here!
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend