Facilities Office Assistant
Job no: 497073
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Facilities, Other, Clerical / Support
This position is one of several assigned to the Facilities Department front office. The incumbent will be actively engaged in work at a level requiring significant independent responsibility for the procurement for goods and services within the Facilities Department. This role will address issues and respond to inquiries regarding purchases and purchasing procedures.
The Office Assistant routinely interacts and communicates with Facilities Project Managers, Directors and other Facilities staff at various levels within the organization, as well as the campus community and outside vendors and contractors. Due to the nature of the work involved, the position requires an individual who is detail oriented, a self-starter, a team player with a positive demeanor, and capable of independently resolving problems and providing outstanding customer service. This position demands upholding strict confidentiality, and requires firmness when requiring compliance with University and Department policies and procedures. This position reports directly to the Director of Business Operations, Facilities.
• Prepares purchase orders for supplies and services through electronic purchasing system; assigning numbers, accounts, descriptions, prices, and delivery dates.
• Reviews and follows up on outstanding purchase orders to ascertain status and take appropriate action.
• Processes incoming bills; cross checking with the original purchase orders, verifying receipts, and preparing them for approval and payment so as to take advantage of vendor discounts.
• Acts as a resource within the Facilities Department on procurement matters. Addresses issues and responds to inquiries regarding purchases and purchasing procedures.
• Maintains purchasing documents, files, data, and records to ensure the availability of documentation and compliance with established policies and guidelines.
• Serves as the primary point of contact for department procurement card.
• Reconciles own departmental procurement card on a monthly basis. Utilizes the procurement credit card as needed.
• Serves as a member of the University's buyers group.
• Maintains documents, files, data, and records to ensure the availability of documentation and compliance with established policies and guidelines. This includes, but not limited to, paid invoices, records of sales and use tax, vehicle expense records, records of utilities (electric, sewer, oil, natural gas, gasoline, diesel fuel, and water)
• Maintains current accounting codes, and distributes accounting information to supervisors.
• Serves as the primary point of contact for supply closet ordering
• Collaborates with other office assistants to organize Facilities department events.
• Maintains records and processes billing for materials purchased by sororities, fraternities, and other campus groups.
• Assists in maintaining records of Utilities (Electric, Sewer, Oil, Natural Gas, Gasoline, Diesel Fuel, and Water) for use by A.D.s and supervisors. This employee will be responsible for data entry and creation of reports that can be used for campus presentations.
• Serves as the back up for TMA work orders Assists in managing the work order system by coordinating the timely and appropriate response by the department to requests for both emergency and routine work orders, and enters data on work orders to ensure that the statuses remain current and visible within the work order management system
• Cross trains and serves as back up support for the other Facilities Office staff.
• Perform general administrative and office duties to support departmental activities.
• Provides information for monthly newsletter as requested.
• Registers staff for various off-site training.
• Works with other Facilities Office Assistants on departmental communications tools.
• Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe practices, and follows safety policies/procedures.
• Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets examples for others, notifies supervisors of potential hazards, and demonstrates good housekeeping habits.
• Supports and promotes the University’s sustainability efforts.
• Performs other duties as required
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Three years of administrative/office experience.
● Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Workspace, email, and other similar software programs.
● Strong customer service focus and time management and organizational skills.
● Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to enter large volumes of alpha/numeric data into a computerized system.
● Demonstrated ability to work with numerous interruptions, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
● Strong interpersonal skills, exhibited by the ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, discretion, and strict confidentiality with all persons both within and outside the department.
● Ability to understand and communicate oral and written instructions and procedures effectively.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member; take initiative, use good judgment, and communicate effectively.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
● Related finance experience
● Knowledge of University procedures, and experience with integrated databases such as: Workday (financial management) and TMA (work order management), StarRez (database management)
● Associates Degree in a business related field.
● This position is classified as part of essential services. Individuals may be required to report to work even if campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless instructed otherwise by facilities supervisor; or when the individual has concerns related to their personal safety.
● A post-offer criminal background.
● Ability to work occasional overtime as required.
This is a 40-hour, full time, year-round, benefits-eligible non-exempt position.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend