Summer Library Assistant
Job no: 497029
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Library & IT
The Summer Library Assistant will primarily work on library projects both individually and with members of a team. Up to 2-3 hours of each day may be spent providing customer service to patrons at the Library Services Desk. Library Services Desk staffing entails all aspects of circulating library materials using the library’s online circulation module. This position provides basic directional assistance to patrons regarding the library and campus, helps patrons search the online library catalog, and answers the desk telephones.
Additional duties may include:
- Arrange returned circulating materials on appropriate book trucks and accurately reshelve library materials in the stacks.
- Search for missing or misshelved items requested by patrons.
- Collect books used within the building and prepare them to be reshelved.
- Perform shifts of sections of the collection as needed.
- Perform inventories of the library’s assorted collections.
- Visit faculty offices to assist with the return and/or renewal of library books.
- Verify the accuracy of the book placement on the shelves (shelf reading).
- Clean out lockers and study carrels, and verify keys work.
- Edit library documentation, photocopy documents, and collate as necessary.
- Other similar types of projects.
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Customer service oriented.
- Computer and software knowledge including word processing, spreadsheet, and email.
- Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
Bends, kneels, stoops, pushes, pulls, reaches above and below shoulders, frequently lifts and carries objects (books and boxes of books) up to 25 pounds unassisted. Climbs and works on stools and ladders.
This position will work up to 35 hours per week, beginning in late May/early June and continuing through the end of August (as needed).
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend