Farm and Garden Seasonal Assistant
Job no: 496698
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
The Farm and Garden Seasonal Assistant (SA) will assist with the daily operations of the Bucknell University Farm (BUF) and the Lewisburg Community Garden (LCG). Established in Spring 2018, the BUF supports a host of university courses and academic research, promotes campus sustainability efforts, provides fresh, organic produce for use by Bucknell Dining, offers recreational opportunities for students, faculty, and staff, and advocates for an overall healthier campus climate. Founded in Spring 2012, the LCG provides access to fresh, locally-grown produce by providing growing space for community members who wish to practice organic gardening, by offering relevant educational opportunities, and by donating fresh produce to local food security programs, including Be Eats. This position reports to the Farm and Garden Coordinator and will work closely with staff and faculty in the management and care of the BUF and LCG.
This is a casual (non-benefits eligible), seasonal position which will be generally work 20 hours per week through October 2021.
● Direct students and volunteers at both the BUF and the LCG. This will include, but may not be limited to, soil preparation, seed and seedlings planting, mulching, weeding, watering,
● Co-facilitate work sessions and educational activities with AmeriCorps members and student leaders (using directions and task lists provided by the Coordinator).
● Provide guidance and direction to student employees and volunteers. Supervise and manage work in the absence of the Coordinator.
● Help to manage the growth and cultivation of several thousand organically-grown seedlings for planting at both the BUF and the LCG, and for plant sale fundraising events. This will include supervising student workers.
● Assist the Farm and Garden Coordinator with coordinating and operating plant sale.
● Work independently when needed.
● Communicate with all staff, students and volunteers to plan work sessions.
● Assisting the garden advisory board and Coordinator in:
o managing the plot rental process
o communicating with plot renters and ensuring they meet expectations of rental contract
● Additional garden management duties include, but are not limited to:
○ Ensure that tools and materials are properly maintained and cleaned
○ Ensure that safe practices are utilized including Covid safety protocols
● Experience and familiarity with growing vegetables and fruits in our region
● Basic knowledge of organic growing practices and related tools and equipment
● Experience managing employees, volunteers, and/or students
● Prior experience working with a diverse workforce
● Demonstrated attention to detail
● Basic familiarity with electronic spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) and documents (Microsoft Word, Google Docs)
● Demonstrated ability to multi-task manage workload in multiple spaces
● Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently communicate with plot renters, volunteers, employees, students, and other constituents
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Valid driver’s license
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening hours and occasional weekend hours
● Work locations vary daily and routine travel between multiple sites that are several miles apart will be required (such as Lewisburg Community Garden and Bucknell University Farm); university vehicles are not provided.
● Horticultural Training or Master Gardener Certification
● First Aid/CPR certificate/training
● Experience working with college students
● Bachelor’s degree
● Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
● Bending, kneeling, stooping, pushing, pulling, reaching above and below shoulders, lifting.
● Ability to work outdoors, some evenings and weekends.
● Possible daily exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature changes.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend