Art Assistant in Sculpture
Job no: 496549
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Academic Affairs, Other
The Art Assistant’s primary role is to assist the sculpture professor with class activities and the day-to-day operations of the Sculpture Lab, and ensure the safe student use of the facility on nights and weekends. The Art Assistant helps students with technical issues on projects, maintains equipment and materials, orders supplies, and cleans the Sculpture Lab as necessary. Sculpture classes currently emphasize steel fabrication, woodworking, moldmaking, and mixed media processes.
This is a termed position, ideally beginning in January 2021 and continuing through early May. There is a possibility of renewal for a second year (contingent upon favorable evaluations). This is a 25-hour per week, limited benefits eligible position.
• Assists the sculpture professor with class activities and the day-to-day operations of the Sculpture Lab.
• Oversees safe student use of equipment in the Sculpture Lab during classes and on nights and weekends.
• Repairs and maintains tools as needed.
• Keeps an inventory of supplies, and orders and purchases new supplies as needed.
• Coordinates with the facilities staff about maintenance issues that need to be addressed in the Sculpture Lab.
• Keeps the Sculpture Lab clean and well ordered.
• Photographs student projects as needed.
• Must be punctual for class sessions, monitor hours, and meetings, and responds in a timely fashion to emails related to position responsibilities.
• Must exhibit professionalism and serve as a role model in the classroom.
• Bachelor’s degree in Studio Art
• Familiarity with a range of sculpture-related equipment and media, including welding, woodworking, mold-making, etc., and have an understanding of, and concern for equipment and material safety
• Must be dependable, have a strong work ethic, and possess good communication skills
The ideal candidate will have experience with 3-D printing, CNC milling, and be experienced with 3D modeling programs such as Rhinoceros; however, candidates lacking this background will still be considered for the position.
1. Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
2. Ability to move equipment around.
3. Use of proper safety equipment for head, eyes, hands, and body protection.
4. Exposure to chemicals and tools such as saws, routers, grinders, welders, plasma cutters, a robotic milling system, and pressurized cylinders.
To apply, please submit the following required documents -
1) A cover letter, which addresses all of the following questions in one or two pages.
a) Why are you interested in this position?
b) What makes you a strong candidate for this position? Please tell us about about your relevant educational background and past experience.
c) What aspects of this position interest you most? Why?
d) what are your long-term goals? Where do you see yourself in five years?
e) Why do you make art?
f) Please also tell us about your familiarity with and/or interest in digital fabrication processes involving Rhinoceros, 3D printing, and CNC milling.
2) A resume, outlining all of your employment history, including art-related and non-art-related work. Please be sure to list all artistic activities including exhibitions, awards and recognitions received, other art-related engagements participated in, and any extracurricular activities.
3) A portfolio consisting of 20 JPEG images, and a document that lists the title, year completed, materials, and dimensions for each work of art. Please email the JPEGs and document to Joseph Meiser, Associate Professor of Art, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, if you have a website or portfolio, then please include a link to it in your cover letter.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend