Job no: 496498
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Clerical / Support
The Bucknell University Press has a part-time temporary opening (10-15 hours/week) for an Office Assistant. This role is expected to support the mission of BUP by providing administrative support, maintaining office efficiently and participating appropriately in Press activities. This is a casual, non benefits eligible position that is expected to extend through June 2020.
• Provide administrative support for the Press’s day-to-day operations in coordination with the Managing Editor and Director, including but not limited to: serving as liaison with University departments, partner presses, professional associations, readers, the Board, etc. Including but not limited to, greeting visitors in person and by phone, responding to general inquiries, purging and organizing files, receiving and distributing mail and communications; and using a computer with a variety of office software applications, including department specific software, word processing, email, and file management.
• Receive requests for catalogs, purchase requests, copy requests and process as appropriate.
• Order copies of new publications and distribute to appropriate parties.
• Research, gather, and acquire information and data pertaining to the production and the marketing of BU Press books and enter data into the title management software.
• Coordinate logistics for meetings, speakers, etc., including, but not limited to, scheduling/reserving rooms, ordering food, preparing handout materials, set up and cleanup of the event.
• Process payment requests for manuscript reviewers, advertising space, conference table reservations, etc.
• Order office supplies and copier paper as needed
• Create, update, and maintain spreadsheets, presentations, departmental files and databases in support of Press’ projects, publications, meetings, and other activities.
• Assist with communications to internal and external constituencies, including but not limited to social media, website, and internal campus communications.
• Maintain Press’ schedule and calendars
• Additional duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED
• Previous relevant administrative/office experience.
• Exceptional customer service skills, strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize deadlines and successfully manage multiple priorities.
• Proficiency with computers and related devices as well as software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, email and calendaring applications
• Demonstrated ability to positively interact with a wide range of individuals and a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Experience coordinating event logistics
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend