Assistant Director of Public Safety, Community Engagement and Partnerships
Job no: 497041
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Public Safety
Bucknell University seeks a skilled practitioner to serve as the Assistant Director of Public Safety, Community Engagement and Partnerships. The Assistant Director will support community-centered implementation of Public Safety’s Service Delivery Model, as well as providing development and implementation support to the Public Safety Department in re-imagining social impact and partnership needs.
Under the direction of the Chief of Public Safety, the Assistant Director will support varied campus communities’ and the Department of Public Safety’s efforts to: 1. build broad and effective coalitions of stakeholders; 2. address concerns and achieve legitimacy with communities; 3. identify and resolve risks to collaboration and community engagement, and 4. support best practices for harm reduction within a university setting.
The Assistant Director must be an effective leader with the ability to supervise and collaborate on any internal and external Community Engagement team needs. It is also necessary that the Assistant Director ensures that students, faculty, staff and other key stakeholders are empowered to advocate for changes they wish to see.
• Liaison with the established public safety committees and other campus committees as assigned by the Chief of Public Safety.
• Collaborate with stakeholders to plan events that build trust and legitimacy between the Department of Public Safety and the community we serve.
• Elicit cooperation, understanding, and reconciliation among various campus constituencies (e.g., students, police officers,).
• Prepare and review a variety of reports related to assigned programs and activities.Seek opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of deliverables and services.
• Elevate and seek to resolve matters of concern as raised by communities and key stakeholders and proactively recommend solutions to ameliorate concerns.
• Act as a subject matter resource in regards to racial equity, policing, and community engagement and coordinate with other campus resources on issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Coordinate internal resources to deliver effective service with communities and key stakeholders and to focus on meeting related needs.
• Coordinate Public Safety compliance with the Clery Act and coordinate with other campus stakeholder to prepare the Annual Security Report.
• Perform related duties as assigned. Related duties as assigned are duties that may be be specifically listed in the position description but are within the general job series and typically associated with the employee’s classification of work.
• Bachelor’s degree and one or more years of experience in government, community relations, community organizing, or related field (in lieu of a degree, five years of related expereince is required)
• Knowledge of complex service delivery systems and of issues of structural racism and racial discrimination in the US
• Demonstrated legitimacy with vulnerable communities
• Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate with individuals from different backgrounds and disciplines
• Experience working with organization-wide strategies and change management plans
• Experience working with diverse teams and complex projects through soft influence techniques
• Ability to use critical thinking to navigate and analytically solve complex problems
• Ability to work independently and elicit trust in judgment
• Passionate about social justice issues
• Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field
• Experience with project planning and community programming preferred
This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt, benefits eligible position.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend