Director of the Office of Accessibility Resources
Job no: 496652
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Academic Affairs, Other
The Director of the Office of Accessibility Resources provides leadership for the design, development, and implementation of accessibility and disability services, programs, and training for Bucknell students, faculty, and staff. Reporting to the Associate Provost for Diversity and collaborating with General Counsel and the ADA committee, the Director provides oversight to ensure compliance with the ADAAA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and other applicable state and federal laws to ensure that persons with disabilities have access to all University programs and activities. As an advocate for and support to persons with disabilities, the Director works collaboratively with Human Resources, Deans' Offices, Provost's Office, Housing, Library and Information Technology, and others to maintain a campus that is both committed to accessibility and knowledgeable about the experiences of persons with disabilities. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position.
Job duties include:
● Develop, implement, and oversee policies and procedures necessary for providing disability services across the University
● Provide leadership for the Office. Carry out supervisor responsibilities in accordance with applicable laws and the Office’s policies and applicable laws
● Approve and coordinate reasonable accommodations in compliance with the ADAAA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
● Serve as University resource person for interpretation of, and compliance with, federal and state regulations related to supporting individuals with disabilities
● Establish a University-wide accessibility advisory board
● Act as liaison and consultant to students, faculty, and staff to ensure effective delivery of approved accommodations
● Acts as liaison to external agencies to provide effective support for individuals with disabilities
● Collaborate across campus to develop and deliver faculty, staff, and student development workshops on topics such as learning strategies, universal design, and access in the classroom, etc.
● Maintain and manage data on the provision of services
● Benchmark and assess program goals and outcomes in alignment with best practices
● Oversee and manage the Office’s budget and budget planning
● Serve as a resource on adaptive equipment and assistive technology for people with disabilities
● Consult with L&IT to maintain and update assistive technologies, books, videos, and other resources used by students, faculty, and staff
● Master's degree in special education, psychology, rehabilitation counseling or a related field and at least 3 years of experience in provision of reasonable accommodations, including at least 2 years in higher education OR Master's degree and at least 5 years of experience in provision of reasonable accommodations in higher education.
● 1-2 years of administrative experience
● Understanding of the legal requirements of ADAAA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, including key differences between providing reasonable accommodations in post secondary academic environments and the K-12 environment
● Familiarity with universal design
● Demonstrated ability to effectively work with diverse populations
● Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
● Strong administrative, supervisory, time management, and organizational skills, including ability to work independently and cooperatively as a team member
● 5 years of experience in provision of reasonable accommodations, including at least 2 years in higher education
● Familiarity with Banner system or an Accommodation DMS
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend